There are three historic Native American burial mounds along the west side of the Milwaukee River. This is from info published in 1916, using maps from Increase Lapham, from 1849.
19a. North Avenue Mounds. On this map Dr. Lapham shows by means of several dots the location of several mounds which are reported to have formerly existed on and adjoining the land occupied by the C. M. & St. P. R. R. North Milwaukee roundhouse. They were situated south of North Avenue and about two blocks east of Kilbourn Park. One of these mounds was a panther effigy.
20. School Section Group (Plate 6). Lapham thus describes this mound group:
“Proceeding up the [Milwaukee] river, we find the next works on the” School Section between the plank road from Milwaukee to Humboldt and the river. (See Plate VII, No. 4). They consist of three lizard [panther] mounds, and four of the oblong form, occupying a high level plateau completely covered with the original forest trees*, (p. 17).”
This location was east of present Humboldt Avenue and south of Clarke Street. The track of the Milwaukee and La Grosse Railroad (now the C. M. & St. P. R. R.) passed between the mounds and the river bank, which at this place was fifty feet high.
Lapham’s survey of this group was made in November 1849. The three panther effigies were about 130, 130 and 135 feet in length respectively. The largest of the linear and oval mounds was about 60 feet in length. Lapham also shows one conical (burial) mound but does not mention it in his description. The river bank near the mounds was 50 feet high.
22. Humboldt Mounds. According to Lapham’s map these mounds, which were conical in form, were located on the west side of the Milwaukee river east of Humboldt Avenue and between what are now Auer and Keefe Avenues. Situated directly north of these mounds was the early Milwaukee river settlement known as Humboldt.